Sunday, April 7, 2013

AMANDA PALMER - Erika Funke


Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed this TED talk. Amanda Palmer was trying to convey that people should not pay for music but the choice of donating to pay the artist should be allowed. I most definitely agree that people should not pay for music, but I do not agree that people should “ask without shame”. That part just seemed strange to me.
            This ted talk reminded me of a  “Pretty Lights”. Pretty Lights has amazing music and does not sell their music, but allows the option to donate. They don’t believe that someone should be selling their art for the profit of money. They just want to express it for free. I personally think this is how music should be. It makes me respect the artists so much more.
            Her opening about being the statue was rather surprising and I guess pretty inspirational. I’ve never personally met a street performer, but in an episode of Workaholics they follow a coworker and find out he’s a street performer and have mad respect for him after that. I would say I felt the exact same way. The fact that she can go from being a struggling street performer connecting with people via flowers to a successful artist connecting with people through her music was a very good comparison.
            I honestly hope that her message becomes the future of music. Music is a passion and a type of expression. The art of music should not be sold to a label, it should not cost the fans money, and it should be free. I don’t usually like most TED talks, but this was a fairly inspirational one. I did Google pictures of her after they showed that picture of her and found out she has long armpit hair… not going to lie that was pretty repulsing. But then I Googled her music and it was all right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment