Friday, April 19, 2013

Transformational Leadership Using TED Talks


TED talks are a way for smart people with an idea that could make a difference can share their thoughts and ideas with other people.  This idea of sharing knowledge between all people is a great concept and has the potential to change the world.  In the article Transforming Leadership Using TED Talks by Dr. Lisa Rubenstein, she makes the point that TED talks could change the way teachers teach and students learn.  TED talks are great if teachers were to go look for new ideas on how to better the way they do their job and the way they communicate with their students.  I understand this main concept she is getting at; we all can learn things from the talks.  Beyond this, I found her article to be quite confusing.  She said a lot of things that made next to no sense to me.  She made a lot of weird analogies that didn’t seem to work.  In other cases, she doesn’t go into the topic as much as she could have.  It would have made much more sense if she just explained her thoughts more.  Despite all of this, I think her main point was that TED talks would be a good way to train teachers.  While she thinks that this is an awesome idea, I do not think that it is entirely practical.  There are a lot of things teachers could do to teach better, but I believe that teachers teach what’s best for the class as a whole, not individuals.  For example, I am a kinesthetic learner, meaning I learn things best by doing.  Unfortunately for me, most people learn best by seeing and hearing.  It would be ridiculous for a teacher to teach a different way just for the people like me, while the majority of the class learns best differently.  I think that she could be on to something, that teachers could switch up the way they teach, but I do not completely agree to an extent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment