Friday, April 19, 2013

TED Talks Effective?


To start off, I don’t understand what the author is trying to get across when saying “makes a teacher feel more gifted”. What makes a “gifted” teacher? And having a teacher feel more gifted on’t make them necessarily better at their job. There comes a point where you come to a very fine line between gifted and entitled. Also I don’t think that watching TED Talks is going to make this big of a difference in the gifted education system. Most of the teachers I’ve had either had good attitudes or they didn’t. They either tried to help students out and make them believe in themselves or they didn’t. This comes from personality flaws, not “teaching skill”. I have had decent teachers with really awesome outlooks that made me want to learn and grow, so I did. I have also had very well educated and smart teachers that turned everything into a challenge of wits and authority. TED Talks were NOT going to change his teaching style, because he thinks he’s above it. A lot of what this author is talking about seems to be personality issues of leaders. The armed forces general seemed like he just had a really great commanding officer. I don’t think that someone would watch that and just say “Oh wow better change everything I’ve been doing for the past [however many] years.”. At the risk of sounding cheesy, I’m gonna compare TED Talks to fables we read as a kid. If you are a teenager, you have most likely lied to your parents at least once in your lifetime. Are you going to think back to Pinocchio every time you lie? If you were to watch it now, would you change your ways? I think Miss Rubenstein should ask herself these questions before just relying on surveys. She put herself in a leadership position by writing this article. The least she can do is follow her own advice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment