Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Art of Asking


I thought the TEDTalk done by Amanda Palmer was incredibly touching and inspiring. I must admit, I was somewhat skeptical when I began the video and saw her painted white and wearing a huge white dress, but after hearing what she had to say, I was very impressed with her story. The intimacy shared with a complete stranger just through eye contact and giving them a simple little flower had to have been so gratifying for her. I think it really is something that we should all take note of, a small simple random act of kindness to anyone, even a complete stranger, can be so uplifting and helpful.
The lifestyle Amanda Palmer chose for herself is one that I could never choose for myself. Her “couch surfing” sounds terrifying and reckless, but it too is kind of a beautiful thing. I can somewhat identify with why she feels so passionate about it and connects to her fans though. I have had the great opportunity to be a part of Salkehatchie, a Methodist summer service camp, for the past five years. Getting to hear the personal stories of so many different families that we have helped is so enlightening and inspirational. Those who seem to have the least can truly be the happiest and richest people. The humbling effect of similar experiences is apparent on Amanda Palmer’s life and character.
While skimming over some of the already posted blogs posts, I noticed that several people had said that it wasn’t fair how she was making her money or that she wasn’t working for the money she had. I don’t think that how she supports herself is any different than how the typical musician makes theirs. She puts in the same amount of work, and probably a lot more love into the music she makes than traditional musicians. She, however, has built such an incredibly close connection with her fans that many musicians couldn’t even dream of. She trusts listeners so much that she puts her life into their hands, in every sense of the phrase. I think her lifestyle also just goes to show how much more people would be willing to pay for music if they are just asked to instead of being told to. Whether it be for a place to stay the night, food to eat, or money to support her career, Amanda Palmer has certainly mastered the art of asking and reaped its many benefits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment