Thursday, April 18, 2013

Last Blog!!!!! Ted Talk Article


Like the post before me I found this article hard to understand. But I can very much so relate to the article. I myself was not a so-called “gifted” student. I was with all the random shakers and problem kids for the better half of my high school career. But when I was a junior I took an honors class and then as a senior I took an AP class. In the honors class and in the AP class I saw a large difference in teaching style and behavior by both the students and the teacher in the classes.

Having been not a gifted student I was forced to take classes with students who didn’t care about school. In turn the teachers would either not try to teach or just didn’t care about us students and would be lazy for a better half of the class. Along with teachers being lazy, the student’s behavior leads to lots of class disruptions. With the teacher having to act as disciplinarian and teacher not much teaching was done. This lead to poor test grades and complaining from the students that it was the teacher’s fault. But in my AP and honors class the opposite occurred.

In my AP and honors classes the class ran more like they do now in college; fast pace, no discipline problems to deal with and if you don’t study it’s your fault for the bad grade. I also saw that the teachers in these classes had more enthusiasm to teach and knew their subjects well. I also found that as a student in this class, I was more willing to learn and more eager to learn because I was in a positive learning environment. In these classes we didn’t watch any TED talks, but I had herd before coming to this class that TED talks were a great way to learn more interesting things and I do agree. Having watched the few TED talks that we had to for the blogs I have grown to like them because they all have very interesting topics on relevant things.

No comments:

Post a Comment