Sunday, March 31, 2013

Jason Porter - "Aryan Brotherhood"


Aryan Brotherhood DVD Exclusive
So, for our blog post this week, we were supposed to find a documentary that we were hopefully interested in and then write about it. The one that I chose to watch was called the “Aryan Brotherhood” and it really blew my mind. I like watching a lot of the shows about prison and this one came up on Netflix “because I watched Lock Up”. I knew that this was the documentary that I had to watch. This documentary really taught me a lot about the group’s history, customs, beliefs, and current standings in today’s prison systems. This documentary talks about the dark and violent nature of the members of the Brotherhood. It talks about how it got started and what they founded the organization on. One interesting thing that I found out was a big surprise to me. I have always assumed and believed that the Aryan Brotherhood was a white supremacy group. The documentary explains that they do not consider themselves to be white supremacists. Instead, they view themselves as “modern day cowboys”. They claim to bring justice within the prison system in such a way that the correctional officers do not. They said that, If a black guy and a white guy were fighting, and they knew that the white guy had seriously wronged the black guy, they would beat up/kill the white guy for what he had done wrong, an atonement of sorts. This documentary used several testimonials from actual group members which really established their credibility and drew in the viewer. The stories were violent, descriptive, and had an eerie tone to them, which, when put all together, acted as a perfect bait for the viewer and easily stirred their interest. I was really entertained for the entire movie and it really made me think, and it is because of this that I am convinced of the film’s argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment