Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Spring Break! Sadie M.

I have to say that my spring break was nothing short of perfect. It wasn't exciting in any particular way, but I wouldn't have changed a single thing about it. 
As embarrassing as it is to admit this, being at school so far away from home has been an intense struggle for me these past few months. I was (and to a certain extent still am) extremely attached to my friends and family back home. Most of my friends from high school are people I've known since childhood, and being so far away from them is a new and difficult experience. The one positive, however, is that I truly cherish the time I'm able to spend with them.
After relaxing and spending time with my cousin and her friends over the weekend, Monday was my first day out on the town. Living next to New York City and craving all the kinds of food I can't get in South Carolina, we went to China Town!
"XO Kitchen" is one of our favorite spots, as it offers truly authentic Chinese cuisine for extremely cheap prices (especially by New York standards.)


We ordered some of our favorite dishes (many of which do not have names in English, so I will do my best to describe them.)


This dish is called congee or juk. It is a rice based soup often eaten when one is feeling ill, almost like porridge. The dish may look simple, but the flavoring is complex and it makes this dish completely irresistible!



This next dish has no recognizable name. It is fried dough wrapped in soft noodle with hoisin sauce (a very sweet sauce that is a bit thicker than soy sauce.)

Next we stopped at Bubbly Tea to get Bubble Tea!

Bubble Tea is a milk and tea beverage originally from Taiwan that is available in many different flavors. What makes it a unique drink is that the "bubbles" or boba, are little spheres of chewy tapioca that you eat as you enjoy your drink. (For anyone who wants to try, Tiger Tea in Clemson has very authentic bubble tea!)

No comments:

Post a Comment