Friday, January 18, 2013

Ted Talk Response By Hunter Fields


Ted Talk Response
By Hunter Fields

"Talk Nerdy to Me"


            I loved Mrs. Marshall’s TEDTALK; it made since and was well thought out. I agree with her that people in the math and science departments talk using jargon and bullet points and most people cannot relate. I also liked her quote from Albert Einstein ”Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler”. I think this is a great way for not only scientist and engineers to communicate to the normal public but also for teachers to communicate with their students.

Too many times I have been in a class whether it be a Math, Science, or English class and the teacher is trying to teach us something and uses jargon or large words and then expects me to understand what in the heck she/he is saying. If the teacher would just slow down and use more examples that students can relate to we will get the concept or the problem better and will actually learn instead of just nodding and moving on. If more teachers would use pictures and relatable examples students will learn and will enjoy the class. With students enjoying the classes student and teacher relationships will be more positive and increase the over all learning experience and everyone will benefit form that.  Along the same lines students and the general public need to become more knowledgeable on the topics scientist study so that they are engaged in the conversations and not just zoning out.

As a student my self I find my self-zoning out when in class, and when reading stuff that I can’t relate to. If I would try to find out how I will use this class or topic in the future it could help me stay focused and better understand the topic and then I can be engaging in the conversations or classes. As a teacher having students that have and understanding of the topic and are engaging it is easier for them to teach and get their points across and then makes communicating easier.  Communication is the key to success; if both sides put more effort into it we can all communicate better and then be a better society.

No comments:

Post a Comment