Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Chelsea Green-Spanking Rhetorical Source


For this blog post, I chose to use a cartoon as a rhetorical source. I chose this item because it helps to support my beliefs and the thesis of my research analysis paper. It relates to my topic because it shows the flaws in households that don’t believe in spanking and the great effects that that decision could have on the children in the household and their behavior. The photo does nothing but strengthen my argument; it doesn’t leave room for loopholes that someone who would want to criticize my paper would with out a doubt look for. The picture affects how I think about the argument positively; because it again supports my argument and it I have witnessed lashing out and disrespect from other children in public places whose parents did not believe in disciplining them physically. The social implications are given in the quote on the picture, “Don’t worry about a thing, my mom doesn’t believe in spanking”. This statement makes it seem that it’s fine to be defiant and do inappropriate things because the child wont be reprimanded for it. Political implications arise in the fact that it is in a political cartoon and most things conveyed in political cartoons are large issues that are being addressed in a sarcastic way. Spanking has often been up for debate on whether or not it should be outlawed completely, or if it’s an inalienable right for a caregiver to posses. The cultural implications are present because some cultures encourage spanking a great deal and probably wouldn’t have children being as openly defiant as a culture that doesn’t believe in the action. (Not to say they wont lash out, but the chances are smaller.) There are no scientific or ecological implications. There is no argument other than my own that can be found in this rhetorical source; it’s solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment