Monday, February 4, 2013

Mono-tasking on the Phone: Sadie M. Moore

In today’s society filled with constant scheduling and organization, it’s hard to take the time to really focus all of our energy on one simple thing. It’s understandable that things have become this way: we are expected to accomplish so much in such a small amount of time. We are constantly bombarded with information and communication: phone calls, emails, texts, Facebook messages and notifications. Technology makes it easy and even encourages multitasking. Why simply make a phone call when you can make a phone call and check Facebook and send a text all while checking your email? I think it is idealistic to expect the world to stop multi-tasking completely, but I do believe that mono-tasking gives us to enjoy our everyday activities on an entirely new level. I have a serious love/hate relationship with phone calls. Being an out-of-state student, the phone is the primary way I keep in touch with my family and friends back home. While I love that I’m able to hear their voice and have a deeper conversation than I would through text messaging or email, it’s frustrating when the person on the other line isn’t completely focused on the conversation. My mother is the biggest multi-tasker I’ve ever met. I’ve seen her paint her nails while driving, and even if I’m able to talk to her when she has a free minute, it’s usually while she’s grocery shopping, doing laundry, driving, or even in the shower. Not only does this make conversation difficult—I’m also constantly interrupted by one thing or another. Luckily I was able to talk to her and explain that her “multi-task-talking” was even starting to stress me out! Now, she does her best to cut out distractions and interruptions (though it doesn’t always work, I do have a younger sister after all!) My “monotasking” experience is something that I’ve done for a very long time without realizing: I will only talk on the phone at night, after I’ve gone to bed. That way, there is absolutely nothing to distract me from the conversation. Though it might sound silly, when you’re lying in the dark, you are able to hear someone’s voice in an entirely new way. They say when one of your senses is gone, the others become heightened. Although this may be on a much smaller scale, I’m able to really concentrate on the person I’m talking to and what they’re saying. I’m even able to pick up on what they aren’t saying, because of how closely I’m listening. I know how frustrated I get when the person I talk to seems distracted, which is why I do my best to give the other person my complete attention. Unfortunately, the downside to chatting in bed is falling asleep mid-conversation (which I am definitely guilty of!)

No comments:

Post a Comment