Monday, February 4, 2013


         As I tried to only study for my biology exam, I found myself getting very very distracted by... well just about everything. Any time my phone would ring I would feel the urge to pick it up immediately. I wasn’t going to until my mom texted me and you have to answer your mother right? I also find myself, even writing this post making frequent detours to Tumblr and eventually skyping with someone from home. So then I tried out listening to a song. I got only 54 seconds in before I started thinking about all the stuff I had to accomplish and what I had to get done before my next class. I am actually a person that goes really deep into music. I do frequently use it as an escape or even a distraction. Doing dance for my entire life makes me really pay attention to the words and beats and I find music very soothing because it is steady, unlike my life. I think the problem we have today is that everyone is so used to “going” as in getting things done and trying to stay busy that virtually no one has the ability to mono-task anymore. In fact, someone who likes to stay in on the weekends and watch movies is seen as “lame” or “uncool” by a lot of people now. It’s like if you aren't constantly busy or talking to and meeting new people, it is almost looked down on by others. Society has made it seem like we have to constantly be busy and trying to get a hold of someone to seem important. I once heard a group of 13-year-olds degrading a girl based on how many Facebook friends she had. I think the world has put too much weight on always being connected for us to ever be able to do a simple task with a simple and clear mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment