Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Monotasking-Chelsea Green


For my “monotasking” experience I chose to do homework. I only had a small amount of work to do this week, but surprisingly that amount of work didn’t drive me to work any harder to get it done earlier. My mind was elsewhere. It seems when I have business to handle twitter, eating, or other temptations are always drawing me away from the task at hand. My mind was all over the place, and not the place it needed to be which was on my homework. It’s hard to focus on something that you really don’t have any interest in, but perhaps if the tables turned and I actually enjoyed a task the chance of you being distracted from it would be rather slim. I dreaded the experience because I have the tendency to take simple tasks that should take no longer that half an hour and somehow draw them out to be longer than they need to because of my lack of a one track mind set. Monotasking is rare in the world we live in; we live in a fast paced society that always wants things done as quickly as possible. Multitasking in this society aids in efficiency and is favored by many. Monotasking can also come off as boring and tedious, so combining multiple tasks can add enjoyment to an activity. For example imagine sitting in a cubicle doing the mundane task of stapling stacks of paper all day. It would be easy to become distracted because the task is so boring. However, if a lot needed to be done that day and you were on the phone with potential partners, while writing an email, while trying to eat some lunch, there is little room for you to be distracted because you are busy and have a heavy work load.

No comments:

Post a Comment