Monday, February 11, 2013

Media Annemarie Holbrook

After looking through the research paper ideas, one really sparked my interest: Media, does the media, both print and broadcast, report fairly? Does it ever cross the line between reporting the news and creating the news? This is particularly interesting to me because recently I was watching an episode on the life of Selena Gomez. There was a lengthy segment in which she talked about how media has negatively impacted her life, and she never thinks she will be able to cope with it. They invade her personal space as well as her personal life. Another story that popped into my head was the rumor that Lamar cheated on Khloe Kardashian. Rumors like this are hurtful and is an example of news being created. I think about what my life would be like under a microscope like that, put in the spotlight for everyone to see. I would feel uncomfortable, frustrated, and angered. The media has a way of invading the lives of celebrities.
            Has media gone too far? Do they dig too deep? Are they too quick to jump to conclusions? What affect does it have on those stars in the spotlight? Is there a way to regulate media? All these questions run through my mind and I hope to find answers and other perspectives. My preliminary hypothesis is that media has crossed the line between reporting news and creating news, and has severely impacted the lives of those being negatively reported on.
            Some possible sources I plan to use to investigate the media and their effects are magazine articles and headlines that have gone too far, the Selena Gomez episode on her media experience, interviews, and a scholarly write up on the media in general (giving a background). I hope that after all my research that the reader will take away useful information about the media, learn to not trust everything that is read, and how to prevent the spread of false news. By putting ourselves into the celebrities’ shoes, we will be able to relate to what they are feeling and learn how it is possible to avoid fueling the media fire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment