Saturday, February 23, 2013

Molly B. Space Jam

-->
I have seen the “Kid President” Pep-Talk video a few times in the past, and each time I watch it I become more and more inspired.  The video is well put together and helps viewers to really step back and look at the “big picture.”  I believe that this video helps people really see just how important they are in this world.  Each individual being on this planet can either watch the world go by, or, they can make a difference.  I thoroughly believe that each and every one of us is capable of making a change, and each one of these changes can make the world a better place for us all.
            After sitting and watching this video a few times, I realized what my personal “Space Jam” really is.  I plan on becoming a nurse in the United States Air Force and my “Space Jam” is America’s wounded warriors.  Although as a nurse in the military, I most likely will not be seeing much combat, it has always been my dream to serve my country.  From a young age my Grandfather, a former WWII Naval Aviator, inspired me to take up a career that is not only serviceable, but also rewarding in so many ways.  As I grew older, I saw what it really meant to feel a “calling.”  On September 11th, 2001, I was only an innocent first grade student, seemingly oblivious to what was going on in our country’s chaotic state.  But even at that young age, I felt something rising within me that I would never be able to ignore.  My parents explained to me what the word “patriotism” meant not long after the terrorist attacks occurred.  Finally, someone could explain to me this feeling I felt deep inside.  I found myself glued to the television every night throughout elementary school, but it was not cartoons I was busy watching.  I found myself extremely engaged in the programs shown on the history and military channels.  The first time I ever cried listening to a song was in fourth grade after hearing Toby Keith’s “American Soldier” on the radio.  And on the day of my Grandfather’s death I swore to myself that I would serve my country in any way I could.
            As I aged, I realized that health and sciences were something I really could grasp and appreciate.  It was not long before I decided to take the route of becoming a nurse in the military through the AFROTC program the college I chose to attend.  I believe that our nation’s wounded warriors are more than just heroes.  They do not merely protect our way of life, nor do they simply follow the orders of their superiors—they put themselves in harms way for each and every one of us every day.  I am proud to say that it will one day be my job to care for these heroes and my “Space Jam.”

No comments:

Post a Comment